Advertisement

Extension cord likely to blame for house fire

Article content

Owen Sound fire officials say an extension cord plugged in near a window air conditioner likely sparked a blaze that destroyed a house Saturday evening across from Wal-Mart.

Fire prevention inspector Greg Nicol said “if there’s a message” to be taken from the fire, it is for people to ensure extension cords are placed in a ventilated area where they are not covered, pinched or jammed.

The Owen Sound fire department has concluded its investigation into the blaze, he said. It is not suspicious and no one was injured so police will not be conducting their own analysis.

Firefighters were called to the blaze on 16th St. E. at about 6:30 p.m. No one was home at the time. A dog and three cats were killed.

A family of four rented the home. Tenant Scott Mitchell said all possessions in the home were destroyed.

The family did not have tenant’s insurance. The owner of the home also didn’t have insurance, Nicol said.

Mitchell’s employer, O-Kay Cleaning, has set up a trust fund so people can donate money to help the family. It is set up at Scotiabank in Owen Sound. The account number is 120621078380 and the transit number is 12062.

Nicol said the blaze highlights the importance of purchasing contents insurance.

“I’m a real strong advocate for it,” he said.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Article content

Latest National Stories

Advertisement

Story continues below

News Near Owen Sound

This Week in Flyers