Motorist spots smoke coming from home near Owen Sound fire hall

Article content

A passing motorist’s awareness and quick thinking is being credited with preventing a small fire from becoming more serious in Owen Sound on Saturday.

Just before 3 p.m., the motorist was about a block from the Owen Sound Fire Station when he noticed smoke coming from the roof vents of a home at 1302 3rd Ave. E. that was being renovated. The passerby went to the fire hall, rang the doorbell and notified firefighters, Owen Sound Fire Capt. Wayne Flood said on Sunday.

“There were some renovations being done at the house and there was a small fire in the attic of the place,” Flood said. “We went in and extinguished the fire.”

The dollar value of the damage was estimated to be about $500 after the department was able to extinguish the fire quickly, but Flood said it could have been much worst if not for the awareness of the motorist.

Flood said the home didn’t have smoke detectors on the second floor, and even if it had, they wouldn’t have been effective in sensing the fire in the attic space.

Advertisement

Story continues below
This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

“It really was somebody’s awareness and due diligence of looking around I guess,” said Flood. “It took him a second. He pulled over and looked at it for a second and turned around and came back to the fire hall.”

Flood said it was a fairly busy afternoon for the department on Saturday. They were called to a collision involving two vehicles at 10th Street and 2nd Avenue East while they were still at the structure fire on 3rd Avenue East.

And they also attended a snowmobile collision earlier in the afternoon on the rail trail on the city’s east side. A Shelburne resident sustained a broken wrist in the crash after the snowmobile struck a tree.

News Near Owen Sound

This Week in Flyers