No new cases of COVID-19 were reported by the Grey Bruce Health Unit Thursday.
There are now 18 active cases in the region, including one confirmed new COVID-19 variant reported Wednesday. The health unit’s contact management team is following 146 active high-risk contacts as well.
One person with COVID-19 is currently hospitalized locally.
The Grey Bruce Health Unit also released the names of its current Vaccine Task Force Thursday in a news release. The task force provides feedback and support for the Grey Bruce Health Unit COVID-19 Vaccination Plan.
“Membership in the task force will vary to reflect the requirements of the projects before the group,” the news release said.
The current task force represents 15 community sectors including agriculture, business, congregate settings, EMS, faith-based organizations, First Nations, hospitals, municipalities, community health centres and nursing, pharmacies, police, primary care, schools and social services.
Some of the task force members include Chapman’s Ice Cream vice president Ashley Chapman, Bruce Power executive vice president of corporate affairs and Operational Services James Scongack, Meaford Coun. Paul Vickers, Arran-Elderslie Mayor Steve Hammell, Owen Sound Fire Chief Doug Barfoot, Huron-Kinloss Fire Chief Chris Cleave, Grey County housing director Anne Marie Shaw and Hanover and District Hospital CEO Dana Howes.
To date, 690 Grey-Bruce residents have contracted COVID-19 including 80 health care workers. Of those, 671 cases are now considered resolved.
One Grey-Bruce resident has died with COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic.
No long-term care homes, childcare centres or schools are currently experiencing a COVID-19 outbreak.
The health unit has administered 1,500 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine in Grey-Bruce.
Federal officials said 403,650 doses of the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine arrived in Canada this week, the largest single delivery so far.
Public health units throughout Ontario reported a combined 1,038 new cases of COVID-19 Thursday and 44 more virus-related deaths.
Of the new cases reported, 348 are related to the variant first found in the U.K. and 10 to the variant first found in South Africa. One case is linked to the COVID-19 variant first found in Brazil.
As of Wednesday at midnight, 758 people were hospitalized in Ontario including 277 in intensive care units and 192 on ventilators.