Bounce back Attack top Kitchener 5-2

Share Adjust Comment Print

The bounce-back boys did it again.

The Owen Sound Attack topped the Kitchener Rangers 5-2 inside the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium Friday night and improved to 9-3-1-1 on the season.

The win comes just two nights after the Flint Firebirds mounted a third-period comeback to beat the Attack in overtime at the Bayshore.

Owen Sound has yet to lose two games in a row this season.

Barret Kirwin opened the scoring at the 11:37 mark of the first period and gave the Attack a 1-0 lead they would take into the second period.

First periods have been a strength of the Attack this season, and that was the case the last time Owen Sound played in Kitchener. But, on Oct. 4, the Rangers dominated in the second and stormed back to win 6-4.

The Attack kept the pressure on in the second period Friday.

Aidan Dudas scored his seventh of the season while the Attack were shorthanded as Kaleb Pearson drove wide and slid the disk over to a driving Dudas.

Kirwin notched his second goal of the night —  and seventh tally of the season – –  just over a minute later. The Barrie native took Deni Goure’s spin-o-rama setup and buried the puck behind Jacob Ingham.

After 40 minutes Owen Sound was up 3-0.

The Rangers sparked a comeback in the third with their backs against the wall.  Import defenceman Ville Ottavainen got the Blueshirts on the board just over a minute into the final frame before rookie Declan McDonnell potted his third of the season moments later.

Just like that, it was a one-goal game.

Attack head coach Al Letang took a timeout. It worked.

Things settled down for Owen Sound until over-age winger Matt Philip scored the Attack’s second shorthanded goal of the night.

Adam McMaster added some extra insurance moments later.

The loss results in the ‘Rangers record falling to 6-4-2-2, and the Bears taking a 2-1 lead in the season series to date.

Tensions rose after the final buzzer as the teams scuffled in front of the benches before hitting the showers.

Mack Guzda stopped 28 of 30 shots in the contest while Ingham got in front of 31 of the Attack’s 36 attempts on goal.

Owen Sound is back at the Bayshore Saturday where they’ll host the Sarnia Sting. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.