'Stangs stun Thunder in OT thriller

Megan Acres drives the lane in the second quarter as the St. Mary's Mustangs and Georgian Bay Thunder senior girls basketball teams battled in Owen Sound Thursday. Greg Cowan/The Sun Times

Share Adjust Comment Print

Desirae MacLennan shot the lights out Thursday leading her St. Mary’s Mustangs to a 39-36 overtime victory over the Georgian Bay Thunder in Owen Sound.

The point guard’s four made three-point shots helped her finish with a team-leading 15 points.

However, the game’s biggest shot came off the hand of Ariana Alexander. With the teams tied 31-31 in the overtime period MacLennan’s back-court partner let loose and sunk a shot from distance.

The Thunder never recovered.

Both teams entered Thursday’s game undefeated with identical 2-0 records in the Bluewater Athletic Association senior girls basketball league’s North Division.

The Thunder took an early first-quarter lead thanks to the guard play of Teagan Davies and Emma Wright.

Davies was dogged on defence earning back-to-back steals while Wright found forward Megan Acres early for a slashing drive to the basket.

Acres finished the game with 15 points while Wright added 11 in the contest.

The Mustangs clawed back in the second quarter as Alexander and MacLennan combined for 15 points in the frame including a dramatic final-minute four-point swing.

With just over 35 seconds left in the half, and the Mustangs trailing 17-14, MacLennan elected to shoot early and drained a three-pointer to tie the game. MacLennan then created a turnover and made a layup to put the ‘Stangs in the lead, 19-17, before the buzzer.

The teams battled back and forth in the third quarter, but MacLennan caught fire from beyond the arc in the final frame nailing two big buckets.

Acres corner jumper helped the Thunder keep pace, and with Georgian Bay trailing by two, Wright muscled up a shot in the lane to tie the game.

Alexander’s overtime three-pointer gave the Mustangs a cushion, but they needed a big four-minute frame from forward Becky Cassidy to nail down the win.

Cassidy hit three-of-four free throws in the overtime frame and put the Mustangs up 36-31 with a forced turnover and layup combination.

Acres and Wright combined for five points late, but it wasn’t enough as Cassidy salted away the game with two late free throws.

With the win, the Mustangs improve to 3-0 on the season, good enough for first place in the North Division.

The Thunder’s record falls to 2-1.

The Walkerton Riverhawks are the local high school league’s only other undefeated team at 3-0 in the South Division.